Thursday, March 9, 2017

Under saddle instructions

Are there really any true hard instructions to training? probably not.
 
 
 
 
As a professional, I would hope that I could do most things right. On the contrary, I make mistakes, I am only human. However, I do take the most pride in training my horses, no matter what the cost (i.e. mentally, physically, etc).

 Why is this? Why am I so particular? Am I really just that arrogant? I would like to step back and realize that the best attitude is “I don’t know everything” but “I can accomplish my goal!’ combination of attitudes. Some of us can focus too much on the bad and not enough on the good. Speaking of that, I want to look at situations that I do not want, especially when it comes to training and producing riding horses.
 
Some of us can focus on what is so bad like training style or bad horses, but in fact those situations are just a reflection of something else. Something the horse remembers, something they learned, possibly from a trainer who didn’t complete the lesson. I want good qualities, like being thorough but not overdone.

Also look for the complete picture of training. Especially for a client, as they are looking for #1 a spectacular ride (consistently) and  #2 a spectacular horse. I can’t let that horse go back home with my demons. I can’t say I haven’t ever cut a corner on a horse in terms of training but at least I can step back and realize I’ve got more training to do on myself. Ok Enough about me, back to my girl, Rainy.
 
Did I say that I don’t necessarily do the right things? Yes, yes I did. But I have some restrictions as well, which I’ll get into. Last night I had the most lovely first ride of my life. It was my girl Rainy. Now Rainy hasn’t had more than 3 saddlings her entire life. She hasn’t had more than 20 significant lessons in groundwork.

 I feel like she has totally accepted these new things and is ready to move on to a new chapter in her life as a saddle horse. She is READY. Some horses take much longer than this to accept the saddle and not squirt around the pen all panicked. That is how you gauge if you can go to the next step. Do they give you the signs that they are relaxed?
 
 In Rainy’s case, yes. She lowers her head and licks her lips. Stands for saddling and while I jump mindlessly at her side as if I decided to perform some jumping jacks. She barely flicks an ear while I lay over the saddle a few times.

OK little red horse you are ready and have been for some time! You act like you have done this thousands of times and “born broke”. Maybe I should be more responsible than this? Put more roundpen sessions on her? Saddle her for a few more weeks before stepping into the saddle? I think not! She says she’s ready. No bridle yet, that just adds to the confusion to all the newness happening, I ride in that halter (barely use it too).
 
What didn’t I do right? Well I forgot to mention that I took her out at dusk… I am basically riding in the dark. Yes, that is irresponsible. I have limitations! I do waste 10 hours a day at a desk/in a car instead of enjoying the outdoors on horseback like I once did. This is a huge limitation for me. I have my goals set and in order to get after them I have to cut a few rules out. I must continue to train, ride, breed my horses, there isn’t another option here. 

Adding to the limitations,  I don’t have an indoor. This makes training for spring events very hard. I make due. I ride in the snow, ice and risk it… only on my own animal, as that is probably the most responsible thing. But you know what? I take it slow too. I don’t want to take too much of a risk as I have my family to care for too. I wear my helmet! I didn’t do this as a teenager, I learned my lesson the hard way. I take my filly SLOW. I remembered as I took my leg over Rainy’s back, I don’t have to push her. She didn’t move a step. I flexed her head. I disengaged her hindquarters. I moved her forward. She walked calmly out. Have I mentioned that I love my filly?
 
The ground was still frozen as we walked over the mounds of dirt in the pen. She did not falter or misstep. I moved her to a trot, she did bit of trot/gaiting! We went the first direction then switched direction. Then trotted the other direction then switched and trotted the other direction. It was great fun!

That was enough. Rather stop early and allow my filly to soak it all in. We halted (off a breath) then disengaged, turned her head loose both directions, then I dismounted. First thing I always do when I had a lesson with a horse is loosen the cinch! They love that.
 
She stood for unsaddling and then went to her herd, she promptly started to “manage” the youngsters as a mare does. She truly is a sturdy, smart mare. One day she will be top mare but not today. There is much to learn on both sides of the fence….or should I say both sides of the saddle.
 
A motivational segment by: Cassandra Rose J

No comments:

Post a Comment